Clonidine side effects
Clonidine, sold as the brand name Catapres among others, is a medication used to treat high blood pressure, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, drug withdrawal (alcohol, opioids, or smoking), menopausal flushing, diarrhea, spasticity and certain pain conditions. We use it by mouth, by injection, or as a skin patch.Onset of action is typically within an hour with the effects on blood pressure lasting for up to eight hours.
Common side effect include dry mouth, dizziness, headaches, and sleepiness. Severe side effects may include hallucinations, heart arrhythmias, and confusion. If rapidly stopped, withdrawal effects may occur. Use during pregnancy or breastfeeding is not recommended. Clonidine lowers blood pressure by stimulating α2 receptors in the brain, which results in relaxation of many arteries.
They patented clonidine in 1961 and came into medical use in 1966. It is available as a generic medication.In 2018; it was the 75th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with over 11 million prescriptions. clonidine side effects
Highlights for clonidine
- Clonidine is available as both a generic and brand-name drug. Brand name(s): Kapvay.
- Clonidine extended-release tablets are used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Common side effects include upper respiratory tract infection, feeling irritable, trouble sleeping, and nightmares.
- Allergy Warning: Don’t take oral clonidine if you’ve ever had an allergic reaction to clonidine or the clonidine patch. Taking oral clonidine after having a skin reaction to the patch can cause a rash over your entire body, itching, and possibly a severe allergic reaction.
- Surgery Warning: You can take clonidine up to 4 hours before a surgery. Don’t take it within the 4 hours right before your surgery. You can restart it right away after surgery.
Clonidine is a prescription medication. It’s available as a patch, an oral tablet, and an oral extended-release tablet. The form you use may depend on your condition.
Clonidine extended-release tablets are available as the brand-name drug Kapvay. They’re also available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less. Sometimes, they may not be available in every strength or form of the brand. clonidine side effects
Why it’s used
Clonidine extended-release tablets are used to treat symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). We can use them by people aged 6–18 years.
We may use this drug as part of a combination therapy. That means you may need to take it with other drugs.
How it works
Clonidine belongs to a class of drugs called centrally acting alpha-agonists. It isn’t known exactly how clonidine extended-release tablets work to reduce symptoms of ADHD. We know clonidine works on the brain’s part that helps regulate behavior, attention, and how we express emotion.